Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Quadrode to America


Warning: A series of events not in correct chronological order. Am Tarantino, yo.

A long, long, long time back, when the price of petrol was hiked to 48 roobees...
"... Should do a tour at least once in the holidays..."
"...Hmm, there are around seven in Madurai itself..."
   I kept phasing in and out of the conversation, picking up bits and pieces of garbled information as buildings and vehicles crept past, a dull background to a frame which was the car window, distorted by glass, half raised. We were eating out that night, part of the unfortunate Saturday night routine, when virtually everyone in the city was out, replete with slow moving traffic, nightmarish parking problems and booked-full restaurants. Our family was a walking cliche, dad on the wheel while mom doing the backseat driving, passing parking advice and leaving dad slightly fuming. I suddenly sat up.
  "What's a Dhivya-Desam?", I asked. Resorting to a long, detailed explanation on the 108 'special' temples of Vishnu, the gist of which was the aforementioned, she ended with, "Srirangam is one. There are some 106 in India, I think. The other two are in...."
"America", I finished, for some reason. Slightly piqued, dad parried with an indignant "No. Heaven". 
"What's the difference?"
 The result was a very, very rare expression, something you usually freeze for the rest of your life...

Not so long ago...
"When do your exams get over?"
"14th or 15th, I think. Will check."
"When are you reaching Delhi?"
"15th or 16th, I think. We should reach Chennai by 17th or 18th morning. Or so".
"Why are you always unsure about everything in life?"
"Po Ma!"
"Cheri Cheri... Bring unopened or unfinished pickle bottles back. We'll finish them here."
"Hey, do you want Toblerone, Mars or Snickers? I get them in ANC. I could bring a few chocolates for Krish."
"Enna Pilaniya illa Americava? Have you paid your dues? Will I get your CG card..."

Long time back...
"You think America is all F.R.I.E.N.D.S? People sitting in a coffee shop, having a good time and discussing who has a crush on who? No way. This is why I don't like that sitcom..."
I nodded, then shook my head, just to be sure. I had completely no idea what was going on. Had seen only one episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. in life, and that too with no subtitles... Knew the soundtrack though...Sounded like my 'fav' Backstreet Boys. (I repeat, this was a long time back)
"America is not all fun man..."
(The rest of the conversation I don't remember, but it did mention something about high standards of living leading to house-cleaners arriving in SUVs and charging a bomb. It also mentioned not accepting things from strangers and burglar alarms and lots and lots of bubble wrapping their kids.You get the drift)

Yesterday...
"Dude, just saw both."
"Both? Zeitgeist AND Inside Job?"
"Yeah, man. Lost all faith in any standing institution. The Americans are pretty ducked..."
"Seriously"
 "But there was also this relief, that our own govt. is no way near being that organized in conspiring against its own people. (In the US, they want to secretly unify the American, Canadian and Mexican currencies into the Amero) Here we can only think of creating more and more states and districts. We can never think a century ahead. Even our ducking five-year plans are failing. A Zeitgeist is never possible in India."
"I was also thinking the same thing!"
"India, man. Win."

1 comment:

  1. Thing being, F.R.I.E.N.D.S was more or less just like how you said it to be for everyone.

    ReplyDelete